Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Call Me, But Do It Before Midnight


It's 11:31 p.m., I could take my sleep meds right now and still be on schedule. The deal is that I go into the sleep clinic every once in a while to get hooked up with fifty million wires so they can monitor my brain wave patterns as I sleep and when I wake. While there I take my meds at 11:30 p.m. and then its lights out at midnight. It was determined that, on average, I go to bed around midnight or shortly thereafter. And so I try to follow that pattern as closely as possible when I'm at home. If I decide to go to bed at 10 p.m. then I could also take the meds a half hour before, but the trick is to take them everyday when I know that I can get at least 7-8 hours of sleep. I missed last night because of the brownies.

I think it might also help if people stopped calling me at night. I guess that would be easier for them to understand if I didn't answer the phone but when my children call from the west coast, if I'm awake it's only right for me to answer the phone and see what they want. I'm always curious though when someone local calls me. My mind thinks the worst at first, like someone got hurt, there's an emergency and I need to get dressed and rush down to the hospital. I'm usually relieved to find that nothing is wrong. On the other hand, they knew I was awake so they wanted to catch me before I went to sleep. They need to find out what my schedule for the next day is because it fills up fast, even when I have nothing planned.

There was a study that revealed people retained more of the information they learned if they took a nap afterwards. Well, that's not the case with me, I'll still forget whatever it was I was told. Half the time I look at my caller ID, call that person and ask them what we talked about. Anyhow, it's now five minutes to midnight. I just got off the phone with my oldest child who needed information from me. This information would require me to go to my files, which are in the other room and dig through things to find what they needed. One, it's too late at night for me to care. Two, it's not urgent enough for me to stress myself out trying to find said information. Three, I don't want to do it anyway so my motivation is nil.

It's time for me to turn off the radio now. Lionel Richie is singing to me, telling me how close he wants to be to me...he wants me to take his hand. ;-) Time for me to take my dinner plate and rinse it off. Brush my teeth, take the pill I should have taken 30 minutes ago and climb into bed. If anyone calls I won't be quick to answer. I'm sleeping or trying to people. Help me out.


No comments:

Post a Comment